New Lawn Installation
Barnes installs new lawns from spring through mid fall. We provide two options for installation: seeding or sodding. Of course the best lawns are properly prepared prior to any new installation. Barnes is equipped to handle all of your lawn prep needs. We recommed installing new lawns in the early fall (late August to mid October).
Two ways to install a new lawn:
Seeding-- the preferred method of establishing a lawn
- half the cost of sod
- many wonderful seed blends available for any type of condition
- grass seed can be applied by drop spreaders or hydro-seeding equipment or a combination of both
Sodding-- when there is no time to wait for that instant green carpet
- twice the cost of seeding
- highly perishable--must be put down immediately
- requires 2 weeks of concentrated heavy watering after installation to assure its success
NOTE: Watering is the key!! Whether seed or sod, once installed it is imperative you maintain moisture in the soil for optimum results.
New seed/sod planting Preparation
The prepartion for your new lawn is the hardest part of the job. Proper grading is imparative for a long term properly drained and easy mowing lawn. New lawn installation may include any of the following:
- Round-up application --eliminates any existing weeds or grass
- Rough grading
- Addition of custom blended soils or amendments to existing soil to enhance lawn performance while decreasing its dependence on water and fertilizers
- Fine grading
- Installation of irrigation systems
New seed/sod planting Timing
If you have a choice, lawn installation is best done in the fall--late August to mid-October:
- fewer weeds
- great growing weather: sunny but cooler, warm soil temperatures, great rains
Spring and summer lawn installations are fine, but weeds are rampant, and the heat and frequent summer droughts require constant watering while new grass plants are germinating.